Help Build the Billy Frank Jr. Salmon Forever Scholarship Fund
The Billy Frank Jr. Salmon Forever Fund is honored to be designated as a source to receive donations in honor of John Hollowed Sr. (1957-2023)
John worked as the legal advisor at the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission where he served in various capacities for more than 35 years. In 2018, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed a 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decision in United States v. Washington, known as the Culvert Case. This case was built on John’s vision and foundational research—and will lead to enduring environmental protections for generations to come.
Contribution to the Salmon Defense – John Hollowed Memorial Fund will be managed to expand the Billy Frank Jr. Salmon Forever Fund and support work and legal challenges in defense of the region’s salmon and the habitats they depend on. Salmon Defense is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
John was a tireless warrior for tribal treaty rights he will be remembered. The establishment of the John Hollowed Memorial Fund will help to continue the work John dedicated his career to.
Donate to the Billy Frank Jr. Salmon Forever Fund
Honoring and advancing the vision and work of Billy Frank Jr.
In honor of Billy Frank Jr.’s life and legacy, Salmon Defense manages the Billy Frank Jr. Scholarship Fund. The mission of this trust is to honor and create permanence and action to the vision and work of Billy Frank Jr.
This fund will be used for the following purposes:
- Provide educational scholarships for native people pursuing knowledge and careers that sustain salmon resources and native lifeways.
- Fund restoration projects that increase and improve salmon spawning, rearing, and migratory habitats.
- Engage legal challenges on behalf of the salmon.
- Support education projects, productions, and facilities that engage the public interest and understanding of the ecosystems, salmon, and native cultures.
- Provide an annual award to individuals or organizations that have demonstrated leadership and commitment to the environment through collaborative problem-solving.
Direct Your Donation Here
The Salmon Forever Fund is honored to be recognized as one of the sources to donate to in honor of Kit Rawson’s life and work. Kit was very committed to the health of this region’s salmon and so generously shared his knowledge throughout the course of his career. He was unusual in his understanding of the whole picture necessary to salmon recovery, including the very critical aspects of habitat protection. He will be remembered forever through the work of this fund.
Have a project for the Fund?
Use the form to share some information about a project you feel would align with the goals of the Salmon Forever Fund.